Fred Shroyer
After high school, I worked where I could, that included area farmers. In the fall of '57, I worked for Dept. of Agriculture for several months. In 1960, I went to work for Hollandia Supply in South Vienna, that lasted for one year. On July 2, 1960, I married my high school sweetheart, Betty Spencer (Class of 1958). In 1962, I was drafted into the Army for two years. I took basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri with Eldon Rust and Ronnie Williams. Later I went to Fort Riley, Kansas and Betty joined me there in the summer of 1962. I spent six months in Germany and returned to Fort Riley where I was stationed until I was discharged in January of 1964.
Betty and I returned back home and moved in on the farm where I grew up and we are still there. I farmed and worked in machine shops for 15 years. In 1964, Susan Beth was born and in 1968 Cynthia Lynn arrived. Both graduated from Northeastern. In 1979, I started as a Rural Carrier Sub at Springfield Post Office and became a regular carrier in 1981 and delivered on Route 10 most of my twenty years. We have been blest with four beautiful grandchildren. Stephanie Nicole 17 yrs. will be a senior at Northeastern this fall, Mackenzie Elaine 15 yrs. and a sophomore at Northeastern, Sarah Elizabeth 10 yrs. and in the sixth grade at South Vienna Middle School and Jacob Todd 14 yrs. and in the 8th grade in Hayesville, Kansas. We enjoy our grandchildren very much. They are into all sports and 4-H. Very active family.
I still farm and have been retired from the Post Office since July 1999. I do woodworking and collect 1/64 scale farm toys. I have several mowing jobs which includes two private clubs.
In 1958, Bob Braskett, Hugh Smith, David Deam, Lawrence Bostick, and myself, organized a car club which met at Hugh Smith's house. The Club name was Galaxie Customs and lasted several years until the Military Service and marriage demanded more time and dried up money we used to spend on our cars. Bob Braskett had a '57 Mercury, Hugh Smith had a '55 T-Bird, David Deam had a '53 Ford, Lawrence Bostick had a '57 Ford, and I had a '52 Ford.

No comments:
Post a Comment